Now available in Onspring:
New survey designer,
OneDrive and Google Drive integrations,
report enhancements & more
Release Date: February 16, 2020
The newest release of Onspring is here! Onspring Version 17.0 delivers powerful functionality for surveys, data integration, file management and reporting. Continuing our tradition of client-driven innovation, this release addresses some of our most popular enhancement requests, providing greater flexibility, visibility and control for administrators and end users.
Explore these release notes for details on the following v17.0 features:
- New Survey Designer and Advanced Survey Functionality
- Cloud File Links for Microsoft OneDrive and Google Drive
- SecurityScorecard and RiskRecon Data Connectors
- Advanced Options for Scheduled Reports
- Component Match Identification for Instance Packaging
- New System Reports and System Status Page
Download a pdf of the Version 17.0 Release Notes.
Surveys have become one of the most frequently used features in Onspring for gathering information from internal and external parties. In v17.0, Onspring is delivering a new survey design experience that makes it faster and simpler to configure surveys for a variety of use cases, such as vendor assessments, intake forms, risk evaluations and more.
Your previously configured surveys will continue to function just as you’d expect, but in v17.0, you’ll have new capabilities for dynamic question display, rapid question configuration, variable scoring and advanced campaign properties.
Onspring Survey Designer
Drag-and-Drop Survey Configuration with Auto-Save
Survey Designer Auto-Save
Question Branching (Dynamic Show/Hide)
Prior to v17.0, page branching was the only option for tailoring a survey for individual participants. (Page branching allows you to skip over an entire page of questions in a survey.) Now, you can configure question branching to dynamically show questions in the context of an individual page.
NOTE: Question branching and page branching are separate but compatible features. Any previous page branching you’ve configured for a survey will be unchanged in 17.0.
Multi-Path Page Branching
In addition to the new question branching feature, page branching has also been enhanced in surveys. Now, you can branch off to different pages based on a participant’s answer to a “trigger” question. For example, suppose you have the following question in a survey: “What was your role in the project?” If a survey participant answers “Project Owner,” you can branch off to a Project Owner page. If the participant answers “Executive Sponsor,” you can branch off to an Executive Sponsor page.
When defining page branching, you can add multiple rules to account for all possible outcomes. Rules will be evaluated from top to bottom, and the first rule that evaluates as “true” will determine the page branching for each participant.
Question Copy and Import
NOTE: When you import questions from a source survey, any branching logic configured in the source survey will not be copied into the target survey to prevent unintended branching.
Prior to v17.0, if you wanted to preview a survey, you needed to create a campaign and test from the campaign interface. Now, you can preview surveys directly from the survey designer, prior to any campaign configuration. A Preview button displays in the top-right corner of the survey designer, and you can click it at any time to see how your survey will display for participants.
Variable Survey Scoring
Outside the new survey designer, you’ll find additional enhancements on the survey admin page. If you use scoring and branching in conjunction, you can now view scoring results that omit hidden questions in the survey. In v17.0, each survey will include three new system fields:
- Variable Possible Score: The possible score for each submission, excluding hidden questions.
- Variable Survey Percentage: The survey percentage (survey score divided by variable possible score x 100), excluding hidden questions.
- Variable Group Scoring: Total scores organized into categories, excluding hidden questions.
These new system fields will be off-layout in the survey record. As an administrator, you can drag the fields into the survey layout from the Configure Supporting Data tab of the survey admin page.
Variable Survey Scoring (Excluding Hidden Questions)
Disallow Page Skipping
For multi-page surveys, a page dropdown will display to participants in the top-left corner, enabling them to jump ahead in the survey page order. This may not be desirable if you have configured branching logic that could be overruled by page skipping. In v17.0, you can disallow page skipping, which will force survey participants to complete questions in the order you specify. When page skipping is disallowed, page names will display as read-only.
Extended Expiration for In-Process Surveys
Prior to 17.0, if a survey participant had not saved a page within an in-progress survey for 90 days, the survey record would be deleted in Onspring. In v17.0, the expiration period has been extended to 180 days. Each time a participant saves a page within an in-progress survey, the expiration timer is restarted.
Cloud File Links for Microsoft OneDrive and Google Drive
If your organization uses Microsoft OneDrive or Google Drive to manage and share files, you can now link to those files directly within Onspring records. In v17.0, attachment fields and attachment questions have been enhanced to support direct file uploads and/or cloud file links. You can configure these options for individual fields and questions.
Why use cloud links? It can help prevent duplication of files between storage systems. If you’re already managing files in OneDrive or Google Drive, you can keep your files there. Plus, using cloud links can help you stay within your Onspring file size limit.
Attachment Field with Upload, Google Drive and OneDrive Enabled
A few important notes:
- In order to use OneDrive or Google Drive in attachment fields or attachment survey questions, you need to configure these services in Google Console and/or Microsoft Azure and in Onspring. The Onspring Help Center provides guidance for configuring both services.
- Configuring OneDrive or Google Drive for your Onspring instance does not automatically enable cloud links for all attachment fields. You will need to enable OneDrive and/or Google Drive for each attachment field where you wish you allow cloud links.
- If you prefer to allow only cloud links, you can disable file uploads for an attachment field or question.
- When users add a cloud link in an attachment field or question, they will need to authenticate their Microsoft or Google account and may be prompted to grant permission to link to cloud files in Onspring.
- Access restrictions for cloud files will be enforced based on your organization’s security settings. If you do not have access to a file in OneDrive or Google Drive, you will not be able to access that file in an Onspring record.
- Onspring (our company and employees) will not have any access to your files on OneDrive or Google Drive. By authenticating your Microsoft or Google account in Onspring, you simply give permission to link to cloud files in Onspring records housed within your instance.
SecurityScorecard and RiskRecon Data Connectors
In v17.0, Onspring is introducing two new data connectors that enable you to pull risk data from SecurityScorecard and RiskRecon into your Onspring instance. These two data sources are commonly used in enterprise risk management and vendor risk management programs, supplying third-party and fourth-party vendor cybersecurity ratings. Using data connector functionality, you can integrate data from these services into Onspring, leveraging the power of an API with push-button ease.
A few important notes:
- You will need a license with SecurityScorecard or RiskRecon to bring their data into your Onspring instance. Additionally, you will need to license the risk data connector from Onspring.
- Onspring will provide pre-configured apps to house data from SecurityScorecard and RiskRecon. You can relate these apps to any existing content you manage in Onspring (such as Vendor records) to enable a deeper view of cybersecurity risk.
- The SecurityScorecard and RiskRecon data connectors can both be run on a scheduled basis (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.), so you can set up the data connector once and let it run for you.
SecurityScorecard Data Connector
Advanced Options for Scheduled Reports
When using the scheduled report feature to send reports via email on a recurring basis, you now have all the options you would have for a report export. These include:
- Multi-Level Reports: If you have a hierarchical report with data from two or more apps, you can include data from all levels in scheduled reports.
- Data Type: If your report includes a chart, you can select to include or exclude the chart image from the scheduled report. You can also include the full report data or only chart summary data.
- Data Format: For scheduled reports in Excel format, you can format the data as it is displayed in Onspring or modify the data for Excel functions or data import. For example, you can remove prefix and suffix values from numeric data and separate multi-select values with a pipe delimiter so they may be easily re-imported back into Onspring.
Component Match Identification in Packaging Feature
If you use the packaging feature to move configurations from a Development instance to a Test or Production instance, v17.0 provides greater insight into how components are matched between the source instance and the target instance.
Onspring uses a globally unique identifier (GUID) value to match components, such as apps, fields, shared lists, surveys, etc. If a component in the source instance matches a component in the target instance by GUID but does not match by name, Onspring will present that component in yellow, drawing your attention to the differences. From here, you can choose to update the component in the target instance or ignore the component in the packaging process.
Automated Message Sources Report
The Automated Message Sources report (available from the Reports section under the Administration tab) displays messaging configurations in your instance that can send automated emails, such as email bodies, workflow steps, scheduled reports and more. You can edit these configurations directly from the report, including the ability to disable them if needed.
Page History Report
The Page History report displays page requests in your instance, including GET (“view”) actions and POST (“save”) actions. You can filter this report by user or time period, allowing you to more closely monitor activity within your Onspring instance.
System Status Page
In v17.0, Onspring is introducing a system status page that will inform you of any issues with our web interfaces, data processing, data storage or infrastructure. In the footer of your Onspring instance, you will see a new Status icon, indicating the current status of our systems.
If you click the Status icon, you can access the full status page, located at status.onspring.com. Additionally, you may subscribe to this page to receive email and text alerts.
International Contact Information
For clients headquartered outside the United States and Canada, Onspring now supports international contact information (address and phone number) on the Instance Configuration page.
Download a pdf of the Version 17.0 Release Notes.
A lot of times when we start showing a client our out-of-the-box audit solution, we’ll be told, “Oh, that’s pretty close to what we already do.” We’ll have to tweak a couple of fields, but what Onspring starts with initially is usually all that a lot of clients will need. We take a lot of pride in the fact that we’ve added and shaped our audit solution to meet most of the needs presented to us by customers.